Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 96 Restoration Info

TNA yes the yellow caps are 630V. The black caps are Solen Fast Caps which I prefer over low value e-caps. They too are 630 V. They are larger than e-caps but room is not a problem. Standard 450V e-caps will work fine as well. You should restuff the tone control caps as well. All three 630V will be fine. You will find that easy compared to the big can!
Good luck, Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Duplicate, sorry. Jerry

I'd like to verify what I should order, as this is somewhat new to me. All of the capacitors are electrolytic, including those in the tone control circuit, none are polarized from what I can see on the schematic, and they can be ~600 volts?

Thanks for all the help, I'm progressing, slowly.

tna

The only electrolytic caps you should have in that radio are the ones in the power supply. All the rest are either paper caps or micas. Paper caps, including ones in bakelite, should be replaced with poly caps or similar.

Thank you for the information. Eventually I'll understand this better.

The tone control capacitors, 2 @ .01uF and 1 @ .015uF should be polypropylene?

And the capacitors in the "Condenser Block"(3 @ .5uF, 2 @ .015uF, 2 @ 2uF, and 1 @1uF), are they electrolytic?

The ones in the condensor block are also paper caps, and should be replaced with polys. Some use 'lytics for the 1 and 2uf units, but I don't recommend this, as they are used to bypass RF, and electrolytics don't do very well with that in high impedence circuits.

I looked at the Tone Control, the capacitors are in pitch within the bakelite TC body. I can remove these, or, I can also solder new capacitors to the contacts. Is it likely the original capacitors are OK? And, given the capacitors can be switched out of the circuit, can I power up the radio with the new "Condenser Block" capacitors in place?

Thanks again

I'm looking at Digikey and Mouser for the required capacitors, are there other sources anyone would recommend? I don't find Solen capacitors on their websites, and Parts Express doesn't list all of the required values in their catalog.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for sources.

I get all of my capacitors and resistors from this guy..

http://www.justradios.com/

They are in Canada so it takes an extra day or two, but he always has what I need.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

hi guys
I get my caps from
mark oppat oldradioparts.net
tell him what radio you have he`ll send you a cap kit for it

sam

Yes, replace the caps in the tone switch. It is quite easy and these are handling some high voltages.
Jerry

TN, here is a link to AES that has Solen caps. They are expensive and I only use them for those non polarized needs or high current needs in the low mfd range.
Jerry
http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/C-FS-630

It's been awhile, but the Philco Model 96 is running. I finaly took it to a man in Brunswick Maine, FinestKind/Vinylhaven, with considerable experience to go over it, replace the capacitor bank, and adjust it. I probably could have done most of it, but knew he would know far better than I, what to look for and change.

I live in rural Maine with poor reception and find I'll need a good antenna if I'm to listen to the Philco, so, I've started a loop antenna based upon some designs I found online, but, I'm not certain but what I might do better. At present I'm set to use 8-9 turns of 20 gauge wire around a frame I'm building using plywood, 1" diameter PVC and and some blocks of scrap Corian that I've grooved to locate the wires. I can go quite large with this frame, 6' or more if worthwhile.

Would anyone have suggestions though for this antenna, I've searched the archives and found some useful information, but would appreciate additional suggestions.

Here is a CAD image of the antenna: https://www.flickr.com/photos/68227271@N04/16099593280/

Thank you!

wouldn`t a long wire be better
or get an am transmitter like sstran and play what you like ?
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

From what I've read the loop antenna is directional and more selective. I do intend to buy a transmitter kit as well, but want to listen to AM on the Philco, and particularly see which stations at a distance, I can tune in. I can also use the loop in the house, especially during our miserable Maine weather.