Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Next Project - Butterfly Radio

Thank you Mr. Ron Ramirez, for that last minute save! A better catch was never made in the World Series!!!! Phew.....

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

From this... to this....

I want to add, if you are restoring a Philco Model 45, please do not use this thread to determine your colors. I do not know if this radio is historically accurate. It is simply what I decided I liked.

I spent a lot of time searching photos of this model, and I found black, dark walnut, and plain walnut cabinets. I found red, white, tan and yellow stripes. I found threads with people arguing over it..
In the end, I went with a light coat of perfect brown on the three front areas, extra dark walnut on the cabinet body and ivory stripes.

I hope everyone likes it. I am very pleased with it. Those stripes were the toughest part. They are tan/ivory, but my camera's flash whitens them up too much. They are not white.

I think that extra dark walnut was probably the right colour, similar to what they used on the sides and top of a Philco 620B. Whenever you run into blond, and grainless wood on a Philco it was almost inevitably finished in a dark walnut colour, not black or blond.
Regards
Arran

Ahh don't ya love it when Ron throw you a curve 8)

Ron saved my bacon! .. I was literally dipping the brush into the yellow paint..bright yellow too! Luckily, the phone rang and while I was talking I clicked on the Phorum. We already had a pint of Ivory paint in the cabinet. It was a real stroke of luck.

Thanks Arran.. that's kind of what I thought too. Plus, I already had a couple of cans of dark walnut.

As soon as the mailman brings the schematic, I'll go after the chassis. It looks pretty clean and original. I hope nothing major was damaged when the top was ripped off the cabinet. New grill cloth is on the way too.

Good, I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or serious in post #31 (top of this page).

As Arran said, the main body of the cabinet should be Extra Dark Walnut. Not black, and certainly not monotone walnut.

The only thing I would have done differently would have been to color the raised accent panels Medium Walnut instead of Perfect Brown. And I would have used the Radio Daze PH8 decal for the PHILCO trademark. But the cabinet looks very nice.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Oh man.. no sarcasm meant at all! I meant what I said, it was a great catch! Icon_thumbup I apologize if it came off as sarcastic.

Those accent panels on my cabinet were very dark. The flash from the camera makes them look a lot lighter than reality. I don't know if it was just age, or if someone had stained them.. My original plan was to use universal walnut on them. I actually sprayed some on the left side. The swirls in the wood kind of disappeared. I wiped it off with thinner and considered leaving them bare and just clear coating them. I ended up spritzing them with perfect brown, but it is the thinnest coat I could spray.

Hi All;
PuhPow, You need the equivalent of "saving the stripped Screw Award" except it is for furnature instead of metal.. For bring back a "thought" not able to bring back piece of fine Craftsmanship to its ultimate finish.. It looks Great, I can't even Imagine having something that looks that good.. Great Job.. I got my packet from Chuck for my 45, it should help alot..
THANK YOU Marty

Great save Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks guys! It means a lot to me to read your approval. I'm not that great at the electronic restoration, so I hope I don't have to bug you all too much for help on this chassis.

I've got a theory on poorly repaired cabinets like this one - The radio had to be a real good player, or no one would have tried to fix the cabinet.

So we will see how well that holds up..

Wow, that came out really well. Great job!

Thanks Geoff! ... I just want to report that the theory holds true! A shoddily repaired cabinet is a good indication of a good playing radio!.. I got her hooked to the variac and she is singing a very sweeeeet song! Icon_e_biggrin

Boys, this radio is a player! Paul was right! I've got a few hours work left, but I'll post a pic when it's all back together! .. I tell ya, I couldn't be happier! 8)

Here it is.. all assembled and singing along. I still have work to do on the chassis, but I'm waiting on that schematic from Chuck. I needed to clear space on the bench, so I put it together today.

Eww looks horrible give it to me I'll help it
No radio is great looking talking about pumpkin look sick