Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Next Project - worse than the last?

You'll do great. One thing I always tell myself - the worst that can happen is you have to strip it again and start over again. Which is a lot better than screwing up a chassis and ruining some rare part.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

I got an early start today. Top photo is the cabinet after a date with Mr. Mohawk. I used a light coat of Light Oak/Natural Ultra Classic Toner. I had planned to add some dark walnut to the sides, but I think it looks good now.

As soon as the toner dried, I replaced the original decal... next up, is clear coat, and this cabinet will be finished. 8)

From this...

To this...

Final clear coats, some new brass screws, and some brasso.. and she's all ready for the chassis..Icon_thumbup .. I am very happy!

That looks really great! Good save, I don't think I would have tried a cabinet that far gone. Maybe some day.

Beautiful!
Icon_clap

Tim

Fantastic! Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks everyone. It means a lot to read your compliments. Glad you like it.

Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup
Looks great!

Just amazing. Maybe I'll put getting to your level of artisanship on my bucket list. Icon_smile

Great job!!! From a sad case at best to "purt near" brand new showroom condition. You should proudly display that set. Take care, Gary.

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Hello everyone, and especially Aaran, When I suggested steaming the cabinet in a pot, I didn't mean cooking it until it was cellulose mush. At no more than 10 minutes steaming, only the thin porous veneer will have the opportunity to absorb any appreciable amount of moisture. It sucks it in like a sponge! The heavier wood components will not have had enough time to moisten anything but their surface. I used this method to repair an antique mahogany jewelry box for a friend that had gotten soaked in a basement flood and stretched apart very similarly to this radio. It worked great. Just another two cents worth. Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan