Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

An Old Dog learns something new.

Mike's reference to Jack Daniels reminds me of the old Arab proverb about being beware of skinny cooks and fat prophets. Since Jack Daniels is produced and bottled in a dry county I don't think I would be inclined to trust their product, mind you not many Canadians have a taste for corn whiskey of any label.
Regards
Arran

A variant of "Corn Whiskey" is what Southern Americans refer to as "Corn-Likker" or "White Lightning." Icon_twisted

This variety of dynamite in a bottle was another of my favorites. After the operation at work was done, several of my managers and I imbibed in a quart jar of it. Fast forward to my home the following morning, where my wife informed me that she had discovered me the previous night sleeping on top of the dining room table, on TOP of the plate of dinner I had made for myself. Icon_wtf

Another fine morning I decided to have a "sniff" of corn likker before I got underneath a Corvette that I had up on jacks in the garage. A few minutes later I was lying under the car, grooving on everything there, until I realized that I had NO IDEA why I had gotten under there in the first place. Icon_eh

Nope..... don't miss those days and the really crazy other "incidents" one....single......BIT!!!!

No, I do not treat hard liquor as anything other than desert. A night cap of 1-1/2 oz is what I do. I am 53 and I had my chances to become a drunk if I chose to. Moderation.
Having said that, I certainly do have taste for some good burbons and I tasted at least half of what our store has to offer. Eagle rare, Blanton, Pappy Van Vinkle .... at times I want them and not scotch. At times I want cognac. But JD was the very first ever american wisky I tasted, on my very first Christmas alone in 1990. I lived in a delapidated motel with some ex convicts around, 70 bucks a week. Nice folks BTW untill that is hey get really drunk.
I took a sip, realized that there was pant thinner in the bottle, and presented the rest to the guys, they were really happy and drank to my health many a toast.

Since I tried to give the JD another chance as I thought I acquired burbon taste. Nope, still paint thinner.
I tried Gentleman Jack. It is no longer paint thinner but something about it was not endearing.
Probably it is me.

As a Kentuckian, I am supposed to like bourbon, but I don't. Give me something with rum in it.. hurricane, rum runner, you name it. If it has rum, it makes me happy.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Hey guys, next time any of you are in my neighborhood let me know and I'll introduce you to a libation I brought back from my Habitat build in the Dominican Republic. The drink is called "Mamajuana". ( No, not related to the smokable variety!) The drink was a part of the native peoples before Columbus discovered the New World. It consists of a bottle crammed full of herbs, various tree barks, and spices. It was originally made with water, but the area soon became a major rum producer, and it didn't take long to hook the two up. You fill the bottle with rum and a touch of honey, then let it steep for at least a week. Best I can describe it is somewhere between Ouzo and Jagermeister. It has proven medicinal qualities also, so I'm told. The neatest feature about it is you never run out. After you drain the bottle, you just refill it and start over again. The medium will rejuvenate, and is good for five to seven years before it becomes "tapped out". Real body-warming stuff!! Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Well, here a simple and delicious recipe for those who like vodka.
You take

1. A 750ml bottle of good quality stuff. Hint - Smirnoff is not a good quality stuff, as vodka it totally stinks. We had better stuff in Russia bottled in s**tville (Bol'shiyeh Govnishschi in Russian). Absolute is good, Ketel One is excellent. You do not need excellent, good will suffice.
2. You put it in a decanter (strictly for looks - it will look very enticving).
You put in:
3. One or two cloves (decent size) of garlic and
4. One hot pepper, be it serrano, halapeno, or, if you like it hot, one scotch bonnet/habanero. You might want to pierce the pepper in case it refuses to sink.
5. Keep the decanter at room temp for a while, but before you go to sleep put it in the fridge.
Keep it there until the very moment of serving.

The bottle has to be finshed as the day after the subtle pleasant aroma and the hot kick will become overpowering stink and throat blistering agent at the same time. It is not a sipping beverage, it is a shot drunk at a gulp.

Mike;
I have stocked Vodka, but of the real Russian and Polish varieties, like Stolichnaya, Wyborowa, Luksusowa, I never took Smirnoff seriously as a vodka since all the stuff says Hiram Seagrams and Sons on the label. In my mind any vodka sold in a plastic bottle is basically high grade rubbing alcohol. The reason I stocked vodka, or wodka as the Poles label it, is that when you look at cocktail recipes most involve, gin, vodka, or rum. Wyborowa is not that smooth as a sipping vodka, but since I used to drink screwdrivers it didn't matter. I couldn't stand rum so it was gin, vodka, rye, and Scottish whiskey, now I mainly drink cider is anything at all.
Regards
Arran

I remember I did like Luksusowa.
Ketel One is probably my favourite ever since they discontinued the Smirnoff made in Russia.
Majorska is awful (though Polish).