Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How many radios?

Sometimes I work on multiple projects at the same time. This happens for different reasons.

-- I'll have one chassis open but waiting for parts. While waiting, I'll start another.

-- Sometimes I run into a problem I can't solve just yet. Then I might take a break from it and work on something else. It reduces frustration, and when I eventually get back to solve the problem it is very satisfying.

-- Now and then something breaks on a radio I've previously finished. I hate it when that happens, so I might set aside my current restoration and prioritize the repair. (Like when a dial pointer got stuck on a 40-150 or a power switch broke on a 41-250.)

-- Sometimes something more interesting comes along.

John Honeycutt

Generally I don't have more than 1 or 2 in process at a time. That said I have many that are waiting to be repaired or restored but not actually in process. Generally when a radio comes home I will give it a quick check and diagnosis and then it sits til I get to it. Some I need to find a part for or more information. Then like most I go thru periods where other things are more important or I get bored with it all and they sit. I buy what I like at the time and working or not I am happy with them. I have some sitting for 20 years waiting patiently for their turn.
Henry

I am a collector not a repairman.
My local repairman Del sadly kicked the bucket last fall at 83.

I do have a few I want to get working (again in a few cases)
-my LaFrance with a blown rectifier
-a Scott AW23 with a mouse chewed speaker
-My 1961 Maggie Concert Grande which plays OK with no hum but I think I need to have restored
-A minty The Fisher R-20 console with no power FSR
-1930 Bush and Lane console with a Colin B Kennedy chassis that smoked the trans

I also have a few cabinets down at 'Kenny's' waiting for his magic so I can recombine them with their guts.

I sometimes disassemble some to get a parts list made up and ordered. I usually only work on my radios in the winter as I want to do outside things in nice weather. Right now I have a GE 201,Motorola61X13, and Fada 790 apart. I just got a PT26 Transitone that I will redo for my neighbor . That PT26 was his grandparents and would like to have it working again. It's in pretty bad shape as they had a house fire but it survived. But my priority project right now is my 37-116 that will take some doing. Besides it having been hacked and butchered by someone in the past I will need to rewind an oscillator coil that I just can't locate anywhere.

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Right now I am working on a Motorola 65T21B which also happens to be my first. I chose it because it seemed so wide open under the chassis and because since it probably isn't such a valuable radio so it won't be a tragedy if I screw it up.
I have at least 20 more waiting, plus another 8 or 9 I'll probably just sell and never fix.
I would not have jumped into this so deep except I had an unusual opportunity this winter to get my hands on a lot of radios from a collection that was breaking up at a price I had to go for. I buy and sell things on the side and it just seemed like something too good to pass up. After a while I thought I should learn how to fix them since it looked interesting and I have a little shop anyway. I've always liked old radios, but I never had anyone to get me going or show me anything, but with the internet I have been learning a lot and am really committed to fixing these up. In fact I'm still in the process of buying more.
Jim

I only work on one at a time. I would mess something up if I tried to do more.

It is official! I am down to 2 radios on the bench.
It has been so nice out minus the darn wind that I finally got all my prepped cabinets toned. My bullet and 41-22CL are still in the works due to missing decals but are well on their way. Then I have about 11 more in line but I have learned my lesson! I will not be opening 10 at a time. One bench, One radio.....

I wish my house was done so I could put these in my renovated library/study.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I'm currently working on a Motorola 56-CC-2 (down to just the clock movement)

I have a 40-125 cabinet to finish leftover from last year.

in queue:

Philco 41-RP2
Philco 1935 16B late model (chassis 125)
Philco 39-7
AK 42 and E speaker
Philco 53-701 Clock radio
Motorola 57 5C25GW (clock radio)
Sonora 179
Grundig 2066

Back down to doing 1 radio at a time.. last summer I was doing 4 at the same time, drove myself nuts. I cranked out a 624, 38-12, Emerson DA287 and the 40-125.. and then on to a 41-315X in December AND a Sansui 500 receiver. Burned myself out for a few months too!

Decided I'm just not in a hurry. I'm neither a proper Repairman nor a Factory worker. Icon_eek

I'm also not allowed to buy any more radios until I've finished the above.. We'll see how that goes, especially with Spring garage sales and estate sales...

I have never found a radio at a garage sale Icon_sad

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I found two clock radios and the 40-315X that way.. I nearly caused a wreck pulling over for the 315X (I thought it was a 316RX)

Used to find radios at garage sales around here 20 or so years ago. Some of the older collectors say that the 70's was the haydays for garage sale radio finds, almost every sale had one for $5. Everything I get these days is word of mouth or my advertising I do.

Gregb

My wife sells antiques, so all of her dealer friends know that I buy old radios. I feel pretty lucky because they bring me what they find, or they'll call and ask how much I'll pay before they buy. They get to make a little money and I get a nice radio, hand delivered. I also try to make it to as many radio swap meets as possible. I will also buy a radio on Ebay if it's something I really want.

I only work on one set at a time. Sometimes, because of weather, I'll have a couple of cabinets waiting to be refinished, but that's the only time I have more than one radio taken apart.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

So long as you are not on "Hoarders." laughed at on "Pickers." and have at least one family member or other who will admit to being next of kin, reckon you are doing OK.

I frequently laugh at the "pickers" on Pickers. Especially when they encounter a radio.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

The "Pickers" are either loaded, nutty, or fake. I suspect a combination of all three. One thing for certain though, if an item appears on that show, you can pretty much expect it's value to skyrocket.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)