Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Latest Treasure!

Greg, as far as I know, the Canadian Philcos would have had Philco branded tubes in them originally.

I have a few Canadian Philcos; one, a 39-3A1ACB, had 3 out of 5 Philco tubes in it when I bought it. I haven't looked inside the others as I have not done anything with them yet...now I'll have to look sometime soon...

And allow me to add my kudos to the chorus of positive feedback you've received on a great looking Philco! Icon_thumbup Icon_clap

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, maybe the original owner had it re-tubed at some point and went with the Marconi tubes. I will scare up a full set of Philco branded tubes for it when I rebuild the chassis.

Gregb

Wow! Treasure, indeed!

Icon_biggrin

Killer....

In answer to your question, Philco Products of Canada used Philco branded tubes the same as they did in the U.S, but I'm not sure whether they were made by Sylvania, or National Union, or whether they bought them from a Canadian company and had them relabeled. I'm pretty sure that the Canadian Marconi brand tubes are replacements, it's possible that the nearest service shop was a Marconi dealer hence the Marconi tubes. Marconi had their own tube plant, as did Rogers, and RCA, and Canadian Westinghouse, I think Sylvania also had a tube plant in Canada.
Regards
Arran

I have come up with some interesting info on my new radio. The lady I bought it from was a little off on her time line but here is a link to a Wikapedia page about the original owner of my radio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Massey_Berry

Gregb

Wow. Awesome radio and a super-neat back story!

It's not how bad you mess up, it's how well you can recover.