Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Another 87 Lowboy? (Bought it!)

hey ron
I have Iphone 3 (ya its old but works great still)
between text , data ,calls I listen to Pandora about 14hrs a day
last good 3 or 4 days before I charge for 1hr then good to go again
sam

I have to agree with Ron, the SSTRANS is a great way to get any music to your AM radios without any change to the radio. It works well on any radio I have with the radios having nothing more than a couple of feet of wire for the antenna. I have an FM tuner connected (set on mono), a 30 stack CD player (set to mono) and an MP3 player connection. Seems to have no conflict unless you have a couple on at the same time. I did add additional input connectors to back of the SSTRANS. I could no doubt add my old laptop to it as well but just not enough space for the old laptop to set it somewhere.
Best, Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Ron, I use either a Sansa Clip+ or the newer Clip Zip that are rechargeable and will also play while charging off a wall charger (mini USB for the Clip + and micro USB for Clip Zip); I just use an old Motorola cell phone charger with an adapter to go from mini to micro USB.

What I like about these is in addition to the 2, 4, or 8G internal memory they will take up to a 32G micro SDHC memory card, and that is a lot of MP3's!

The other major advantage (for me) is I can put the memory card in any computer and simply copy or drag 'n drop any MP3's I want without messing with iTunes. Starting around Black Friday these can be found at Amazon and Best Buy at pretty good sale prices, especially for the 4G version.

With 8, 16, and 32G Micro SDHC memory cards selling from $5 to under $20 you can have an assortment of cards dedicated to different formats (OTR, Big Band, Oldies, etc.) and not break the bank. I personally use the 8G versions and put music on the internal memory and OTR on the memory card.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I've had my SSTRAN for a few years now.. it's really nice. I did actually add a small switch and a pc jumper cable to the "treble boost" jumper. All because of that 41-315 and it's boomy bass. if you use an ipod, you can get some pretty decent sound out of even a small AA5 if you mess around a bit with the built in EQ.

Give the model 87 an overhaul, new filters, bypass capacitors, and replace any out of spec resistors, and an alignment, then you should be able to get AM 740 out of Toronto with a decent antenna, at least at night.
Regards
Arran