Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Fogged clear

The brushing lacquer in cans has been around a while and works OK but does not contain nitrocellulose like the spray did.

What does the nitrocellulose do for it? I have used th ebrushing laquer for spraying but it seems to come out with a rough finish. Maybe I just need to thin it more. You can sand it smooth , but would be nice if it was smoother after spraying. Was curious if the nitrocellulose had anything to do with it.

If the lacquer does not flow out smooth when you spray it, it could be one of two things, either your lacquer needs to be thinned more or you need to spray a wetter coat. It is a fine line between wet enough coat and a run.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

It says on a can of Deft gloss brushing lacquer "this product must not be thinned or sprayed". Could be that's just for liability reasons or maybe it is specially formulated for brushing to retard the drying time and that doesn't work well when spraying ?

As for nitro cellulose - that's what they used back in the day and lacquers like Mohawk contain it so I assume it does something good Icon_smile

The brushing lacquer is nitrocellulose lacquer also. Here is the MSDS on the aerosol http://www.deftfinishes.com/trade/sites/...172010.pdf and the brushing lacquer http://www.deftfinishes.com/trade/sites/...6-2012.pdf

The reason they say not to thin and spray the brushing lacquer is because of the VOC content, it is just an EPA thing. Actually, thinning and spraying brushing lacquer works very well. I do it all the time.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

I heard rumors that the Watco lacquer is actually acrylic based, but I'm not 100% sure of that, it also comes in spray cans. The interesting thing about acrylic spray paint is that you can spray nitrocellulose lacquer over it, I used to do that a number of years ago.
Regards
Arran

Watco definitely smells different than other lacquers, but works fine. I've used it over other lacquer brands and shellac with no problems too.

+1 on Steve's comments on Deft, the reducing when spraying it through a gun has to be right. Not enough and if won't flow out smooth with a good wet coat. Too much and spraying on a vertical surface (which I don't like to do) and runs.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.