Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 48-1256 (was: Bulb Identification)

So I ordered the new cartridge and pin, it was shipped out on Friday. In the meantime I took every part off of the phono that I could, sanded all of the rust off of it and repainted it. The original paint had a hammered finish so I did the same with the new paint. Unfortunately, the paint didn't dry even close to the color on the cap so it's quite different than the original color but it still looks good to me. I put it all back together, polished the stainless, and wired it up. Seems to work fine but I won't know for sure until the needle comes in! P.S. I've never even used a record player before, or really even seen one in person prior to working on this piece. I think its rather ironic that I'm fixing something I've never used (only 25yr old). Looking forward to using it though. Here's a before and after.

Attached Files Image(s)

You did a great job! An exact color match isn't easy on something like that, don't sweat it! How's the radio working? What have you done to it?

That record player looks like the D10 player... one thing is the shaft in the middle should be tilted towards the front/right centered between the two short towers where the on/off switch is at. Then the automatic feature to drop the records will work. Also, those 2 short towers should be able to turn to 2 different positions to use 10 inch and 12 inch records. That record player only plays 78 rpm records, it wont play 33rpm, 45 etc.. It is the same one that is on the 47-1230 radio/phono.

Looking good, nice job.
Icon_clapIcon_clapIcon_clap

Thanks for the help, I'll make sure to re-align that middle shaft. As for the radio, after a few more times trying it out, I suddenly get the major am station from my city clear as day at a very high volume capability. Other than that, I can hear changes in frequency as if there's about 5 or 6 more stations as I go through the range but there isn't anything audible, maybe on 1 or 2 I can hear mumbling. Any ideas?

Have you replaced any components in the radio? Specifically the electrolytic and paper capacitors? These should always be replaced in a radio this old. The radio should be done first. Since the phonograph uses it for an amplifier, the phono will only work well if the radio does. BTW, I'm still a rookie at all this stuff and learning as I go. I have recapped a few radios with good results. And I've gotten a lot of help from people on forums like this one!

All set, installed the new needle and I get great sound, only one problem...none of my records are 78s, so it's playing a million miles a minute. I'll post some pics tomorrow, waiting for the paint on the arm to dry. Also, starting to get some more stations in, seems the more I use it the better it works. I'll get some 78s and then I think this project is just about wrapped up unless I decide to redo all the capacitors and wiring eventually. Thanks for all the help, feels good saving another piece of American history from the scrapyard!

I hate to tell you but if you don't replace the old wax and paper capacitors your "saving it from the scrapyard" will be short lived. Those capacitors are very, very old and will go out at any time, then you will either have more problems than just a few capacitors to replace or even a fire. You really should replace those if you actually want to be able to say you refurbished this radio. Might as well do it while your working on it anyway, or it probably wont get done. Also, I wouldn't play the record player with the wrong records or might wear out that needle very fast and find you need another soon. Needles are very fragile, don't let it slide across the record, etc.