Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help understanding a 89 radio rebuild new guy

This is my first post to this forum.  I am here to see if I can find help bringing a Philco 89 121  back to life.  I know we're supposed to talk about radio repair here but first I want to say I studied electronics in the early 60s and used to work on old pre-war radios but it's been 50 years now since I did anything with old radios.  Now I want to get back in and I'm not sure if I remember much.  Not like riding a bicycle.
  So I have been playing with this radio for about a week now.  The radio is not dead it has audio and produces a loud buzz when an antenna is provided and it is quiet without an antenna attached and volume up.  There is no detection of a station signal, just buzz and static.  I got a signal generator and set the coil trimers to 260 KC.  I can here a modulated 1150 KC signal from my signal generator but not anything from a strong station at the same frequency using an antenna,just buzz.   The buzz stops when a signal from the generator is applied.
  What I have done so far is to replace the capacitors involved from the antenna circuit up to the 44 IF.  Nothing has changed yet in the radios performance.
  Other investigation was to ohm out all of the coils from antenna to the 44 IF tube.  All are ohming out to the specs I have.  I got an oscilloscope and am able to see a 260 KC signal on the scope when I place the probe close the the 36 mixer tube so I know it's dancing ok.  So this is about what I have done.  I will continue to replace caps till I have done  them all.  It has been quite tedious but interesting to figure out how to replace capacitors inside those bakelite boxes.
  One thing that would make my life easier is to have a schematic and parts list that works for the radio I have.  I have a schematic that so far fits the radio I am looking at but the drawing calls one value of capacitor and when I trace it down I find a PN on a block and when I look the blocks specs up the value might be different.  I replace with the value I find in place, not the value in the drawing.  I have also been taken down a rabbit hole over a capacitor bank (drawing part 4) showing .09 uf of part 4 going to a location but whenbthat location is traced out I end up with a potted capacitor that did have a .09 uf value.  I haven't looked yet as to where the capacitor bank is really wired?  I'll get there.  My radio is a model 89 code 121 and uses a 36 mixer tube.  The Riders manual I am using shows a 77 mixer. So I am confused ? but I am proceeding with it for now.  If anyone knows where I can locate a drawing and parts list for my 36 tube it radio it would be nice.  Also I looked around for a drawing that would have suggested voltages at the tubes, I don't know if such exists but it would be nice ? 
  So I hope I didn't get to wordy.  I hope I have explained what I am doing and for some patient Pearson to make suggestions about how to approach what I have gotten into.
Bruce B

Welcome to the Phorum, Bruce! I haven't had an 89 on my bench (yet), but I'm sure many other members will be happy to help you through. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Do you have any strong interference source nearby?
Have you performed full alignment?
If you have not finished recap, finish it first.

89 is not that different from 19, and I have done one 19LZX. Nothing special.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

We have factory documentation for most models, indexed here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

That spreadsheet has many columns, so be sure to scroll to the right to see them all.

Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/

Hi Bruce, here is original Philco factory service info on your set from the Philco Radio Library at the bottom of this page!
https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%201.pdf

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Gee! That is a great help, I can now see what I am looking for and it's crisp and clear and matches exactly the radio I am working on.
  Next week I get a package of more capacitors so I can continue with recapping.
  The thing I am curious about is that all but one of capacitor blocks was untouched with original soldering on there terminals.  The one that had obviously been charged was in the RF section.  I have replaced all caps involving tuning of the coils then did an alignment.
  The radio looks an molested throughout the whole radio section but around the power supply and audio is a different story.  For one thing there are at least 4 electrolytic caps at values from 10 to 30uf the original pair or 8uf caps are still there but have been clipped.  Underneath is a  home made resistance bridge of 4 dog bone resisters that are just suspended through creative, artistic soldering.   It's a mess but for now I am leaving it alone because there is quality DC and the audio is quiet strong.  I have two 8uf cans coming and then will make a project of putting the power supply back to the way it used to be.
  Do you know what voltage is expected at the grip cap of 36 mixer? I have about -1v seems low?
Thanks again for the cool factory data, Bruce

Fingers crossed you'll get lucky and won't have to, but chances are you're going to have to rewind at least one, possibly all three of the coils (ANT, OSC and RF). The model 89's are notorious for having open primary windings on their coils. Here's the notes from when I did mine many years ago: https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=8753

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

I don't know if this would help but there is a page about the model 89s, and the changes they made over the years they were in production.
https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...-model-89/
Regards
Arran

Hi Bruce and welcome,

Not to inundate you with more schematic info but https://philcoradio.com/library/download...%20146.pdf This has it all except the parts values on the diagram.

If all seems well up to the mixer (36 tube) connect the generator to the grid cap w/a 260kc signal that is modulated. If all is working you should be able to align the IF stage #'s 15, 19, 22, 26.

The next step I would do is measure the resistance from the cathode pin of the 36 to the junction of #'s 8 & 10 and the osc coil. Should be around 5 ohms. Anything much higher makes the osc coil feedback winding suspect. Pop it out and inspect it, the small winding near the bottom of the form. It may have hazy appearance but a little heat from a heat gun will clear it up it's wax. What you are looking for are green dots. This is rot in the copper wire caused by a chemical reaction. If so it's time to rewind.

>end up with a potted capacitor that did have a .09 uf value<.
You've probably already figured this out that some values are not available anymore. .09 is a .1 as is a .05 is a .047. There are many of resistor values that are discontinued. On these old sets the spec is 20% so there's a fair amount of latitude in value to find a modern replacement. It's tough on servicing tube type TV's.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry